March 27, 2012
This morning started early. We woke up and packed all of our stuff into the van and started cleaning the house. We of course needed to make it look nice for the wonderful family that let us stay. I bet you can guess what we did next. Yep, loaded up the vans and headed out. Our destination today was the glow worm caves! I have been so excited for this! =) So here is what we did. We divided ourselves into 2 groups. One group went first, and then the other group went. I was in the second group.
We walked down, got on these really cold and stinky wet suits, socks, boots, helmets, etc. and loaded up in yet another van. When we reached a semi close destination, we were given an inner tube and told to make sure it was the right fit for us. How do you do this, you may be asking. Well you stick your butt through the hole and make sure it fits nice and snug. Mine was a little big, but the guy told me it was okay because I was so tall. We then were given instructions on how to jump down the waterfall. Yep. We jumped off a little doc into the river. It was freezing! Brrrr, but it felt so great! We then hiked up a hill and then down into this cave. Part of the experience was walking through the cave and part of it was riding in the tube. The entire experience is called Black Water Rafting and we went through what is called the Black Labyrinth. We hadn’t been walking for long when we came to the first jump. Basically you stand with your back to the water below you, the guide counts and you jump and hope you don’t hit any rocks! It was great. We walked some more and then jumped down an even bigger waterfall. This one was slightly intimidating because there was this big hole right next to where we were standing. If you accidentally stepped in it, it would be difficult to get out of! Not Fun! When we successfully made it down the waterfall we all connected together, turned off our lights and floated while looking at the glowing ceiling.
Now the worms themselves do not glow, basically, their poop does! Yep, we were floating looking up and worm poop, but let me tell you it was Beautiful Worm Poop! After awhile we were told that it was our job to get us out of the cave. We could not turn our lights on. It reminded me a lot of being underground with Dad at FMC. Together we made it out. Unfortunately I had a hard time using my arm to paddle. My tube was too big and I kept falling through. Eventually I just hooked on to Stephanie’s tube and we made it out!
It was freezing, but I am glad I got to wear the wet suit. This is the first time I have worn a wet suit. Although It was not flattering on me at all, it kept me warm and for that I was willing to not look cute for once in my life (haha conceited much Emily!?)
We then loaded up in the vans, and headed home. Of course we couldn’t go back to Auckland unless we stopped over for ice cream! We stopped in this town called Pokono and got a very choice deal on ice cream! I got 2 scoops for $2.50! It was Yum As! I decided to get Hoky Poky! I had tried this a few times, but this is the first time I got my own! It was so delicious! I am definitely going to miss this kind of ice cream when I get home!

No comments:
Post a Comment