Saturday, January 21, 2012

No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

January 21, 2012
How true is that quote?! I LOVE IT! 

Horse back riding. That is what we did today. I was a little nervous, considering I hadn’t been on a horse in YEARS. But it was absolutely amazing. Let me start at the beginning. 

As a group, we decided to go horse back riding out in Helensville. Because it was a last minute decision we decided that in order to save money (and because we couldn’t get vans), we would all ride the bus out there. Steph and I had not ever rode the bus so we asked our host dad to help us. He helped us figure it out. We needed to walk 30 minutes to the mall, catch the 080 from the mall to Westgate, and then catch the 060 to Helensville. So off we went. It was quite the adventure and let me tell you, I am very impressed with the bus system here. It is great! We met up with all of the girls at Westgate and then headed off to find Helensville. We got there and the horse riding company (Tasman rides) came and picked us up. We got there about an hour before it was our turn to ride so we just sat around and hung out for awhile. You had to drive on this dirt road to get there and it reminded me so much of home (except for all of the green grass and the mountains,  but besides that it reminded me of home.) It was so green and beautiful. 

As we were sitting there waiting for our turn we discovered the most adorable Shetland ponies EVER. They were so cute and so tiny! Of course all of us girls decided to go over and to feed them and pet them. I just loved how adorable they were. When we got bored with that, which didn’t take too long, we went back and waited for our turn. It was quite the ordeal to get 20 horses ready to take us. Finally everyone started to get on the horses. At first they wanted me to get on this really tiny horse, I was taller than it almost. So they decided against that and told me to wait. Well it is finally my turn to get on. They lead this horse in and it is MASSIVE! Oh my goodness was that a big horse. I got on it and the stirrups were too short. They tried so hard to make those things long enough but guess what. They never were. My legs were just too long to be riding in that English Saddle (I like western saddles so much more). Finally we were off and what a sight we were, 20 girls riding horses in a long line. We went up and over these most beautiful terraced hills. The views were amazing. It felt so good to be out there looking at how beautiful New Zealand was. I just loved it. My horses name was Jackson and boy did he have a mind of his own. The horse that was behind me kept biting him on the butt and so Jackson would buck and be a pain. Even though I was slightly paranoid that he was going to buck me off, I kept my cool and just kept going. 

Unfortunately at the last minute I decided I didn’t want to deal with my camera and risk it falling out of my pocket so I left it behind. I figured that there would be enough girls with their cameras that I could just steal some of their pictures. They haven’t all been posted yet, so as soon as they are I will post them. For now I will just post the ones that I have. I have a few from the other girls, but not too many. Be prepared for a future post with lots of pictures of horseback riding. 


Look how crazy his hair is! 

I seriously look like a giant next to this pony! 



Look how beautiful! 


Me from the back, on my horse Jackson!

What a view! 

Some of the horses that the girls got to ride were in the Narnia movies! How cool is that. New Zealand is such an amazing place and I am so glad that I get to be here and explore it! What a wonderful opportunity. 

Who knows, maybe I will start riding when I get home to Wyoming, (if the horses are still there). 

P.S. I may not be able to move tomorrow, I am already a little sore. 
P.P.S. My arms are starting to get a little bit darker! Yay for not being so pale and pasty looking! 

When we were riding the bus home I found this store. 
If only Debroah was spelled like DEBRA instead, then it would be moms  store.
I propose that we change it to Debra Jane: Designer Clothing and Shoes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment