March 23, 2012
Today we left for our Hamilton/Rotorua trip. We met at our usual meeting place, the chapel on Universal Drive, and loaded into our usual 2 vans and pink car. I was in the pink car with Ramona, Atticus, Tiare, and Amanda. We had a lot of fun talking and listening to my iPod. We drove the few hours to Hamilton so we could go to the temple. The temple was so simple, but so amazingly beautiful. I can’t describe it. I loved how it was nestled in between the green rolling hills, palm trees, and cows. Before we got to the temple we stopped at a place called Mamma’s Donuts! These are seriously the best donuts I have ever had. YUM! I loved them a lot!
After we ate our fill of donuts we headed to the temple. Of course we took lots of pictures outside. Once inside I could feel a sense of peace. I forgot everything that I had been worrying about was able to think about more important things. We were the only group doing baptisms at the temple. We had a very large group so it took awhile, but I loved being able to sit there and reflect on the gospel and how much my life has changed since being here in New Zealand. All 22 of us did baptisms and confirmations. All together we did 440 names. That is a lot of people that I am sure were rejoicing in heaven. Afterwards we took some more pictures and I went and bought a Maori Book of Mormon. I thought it would be a good keepsake and who knows maybe I will decide to read it in Maori.
“Now, my brothers and sisters, we have built temples throughout the world and will continue to do so. To you who are worthy and able to attend the temple, I would admonish you to go often. The temple is a place where we can find peace. There we receive a renewed dedication to the gospel and a strengthened resolve to keep the commandments.” -Thomas S Monson
We then loaded up the vans, again, and headed to Rotorua. Rotorua has a lot of natural hot pools. It reminded me a little bit of Thermopolis and Yellow Stone. I love that New Zealand is so much like Wyoming. This nice couple that is James’ friends let us stay at their house. They put a bunch of mattresses, blankets, and pillows on the floor and we had one giant slumber party. It was a lot of fun. I got to talk and get closer to a lot of the girls that I hadn’t had a chance to talk to yet.
After unloading our stuff we headed to a place called, The Tribal Lights. The lady that owned the house we were staying in, owns the Tribal Lights. They serve you dinner, buffet style, and then they put on a show. I am not quite sure what the show was about, but it was funny (at times), and slightly inappropriate. I got a good laugh out of it. After the show we headed back and decided to call it a night and go to sleep. It finally started to hit me how exhausted I am.
New Zealand is somewhere I've always wanted to go! My great great grandpa, William Martel Bromley was the first mission president there. He fulfilled the prophecy to the maori king and queen who when my grandpa asked them to prosilide in their village, they were still cannibalistic! Seeing pictures of that temple strikes near and dear to my heart. I love your pictures! Thank you so much for posting! :)
ReplyDelete-Ivy Smith