When we first came to Christchurch I didn’t think that it would be very fun! Almost one year ago there was a massive earthquake that hit the city. There have been numerous aftershocks since and the bulk of the city is still shut down. Usually the BYU girls go to Christchurch for an entire week but because of the Earthquake we will only be here for 4 days.
My opinion quickly changed about Christchurch today! We woke up, after sleeping in (wonderful!) and drove to the Canterbury Museum. It was fun to walk through the exhibits and to read about all of the different things. I learned so much about the culture of New Zealand, fashion, and a ton of other things. Unfortunately I went through the museum slow and didn’t get to see it all before we had to leave.
After the museum some girls went to play volleyball with the missionaries and a few of us decided to walk around Downtown Christchurch. That was the most humbling experience I have ever had. The entire city center is blocked off. All of the buildings have to be knocked down because of the damage they suffered during the earthquake. It is like a ghost town. I am impressed with the people of Christchurch! They didn’t let this get them down! A good chunk of them stayed and are trying to get things back to normal. I don’t know if I could have done that.
When we were done walking around we headed back to the hotel and decided to go to the beach. We got there and the wind was blowing like crazy and it was kind of cold. I decided to go and walk along the pier and the other girls decided to lay in the sand and try to get warm. The Pier was beautiful! I loved it! I could have stayed there all day, but we decided to leave because it was cold and the sand was blowing everywhere.
We got back and laid by the pool for awhile and then a couple of us went grocery shopping with James! He is such a great guy! I love getting to know him and talking to him! He would be starving and give you his last bit of food! That is how great he is! On the way back from the store he asked us what we were doing for Family Home Evening. We said we didn’t have plans and asked if he wanted to come over and do something with us! He told us he would teach us how to play Greedy!
It was so much fun! It has some of the same rules as Farkle! I will remember the rules so I can teach everyone when I get home! After that was over, Ramona stayed for awhile and watched Sweet Home Alabama with us! Lots and Lots of fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment