Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Life



What an interesting day! I expected today to be like any other day. I went to school expecting to be overwhelmed in my class. I did come out overwhelmed, but not about all the responsibilities of a teacher like I usually do. This time I was contemplating the idea of going on a study abroad trip to New Zealand. I have wanted to go on this study abroad, but I didn't think it was possible with the place I was in school. Here's a little background on the New Zealand study abroad. This is a chance for Elementary Education teachers to go and be a part of one of the world's most amazing literacy programs. The only downside, they only offer it during the Winter Semesters, and you can only go if you are in your second cohort! DING! That has been my problem and the reason I didn't think I could go. Today the teacher that will be going to New Zealand came and talked to my class. She told us that we could defer a semester and go to the study abroad if we wanted to. All of a sudden I perked right up. I had made up my mind I wanted to go to New Zealand. 



Who wouldn't want to go here! 
I had made up my mind. I was going to go to New Zealand, but then I remembered how hard I had thought about my life and what I was going to do in the next year and a half. I had it all planned out. I was going to do my second cohort next semester (Fall 2011), student teach (winter 2012), graduate April 2012, and then hopefully start grad school that fall (2012). I was totally okay with this idea. Now there might be a new plan. This is how it pans out. Fall 2011 I would take my last flex class and do my TESOL practicum, plus take a bunch of extra classes so I could be a full time student, then Winter 2012 I would go to New Zealand and do my second cohort, I would then student teach Fall 2012 and graduate December 2012. They both seem like such great plans but there are downsides to both. 


There is so much on my mind and so much uncertainty. I don't know what my life hold for me in the next year. What happens if I get accepted to go to New Zealand but meet some amazing guy and we get serious and think about getting married. Now I seriously doubt this will happen. Remember I have been to BYU for 3 years and haven't been out on one single date. I'm not banking on the idea of boy being there in a year. BUT WHAT HAPPENS IF THERE IS ONE. Could I make myself go? Would I still want to go? If there was a guy and we were serious would he want me to go? I'm hoping if he liked me enough he wouldn't mind and that he would "wait" for me. Why am I talking about this? I am single and will be for awhile. 


I wish I could see into my future a year in advance. I want to know where I am and where I am going to end up. Today for my class, I had to give a devotional. I totally spaced it and remembered right before class started. I quickly got on to lds.org and this was the first quote that popped up on the side. Now take into consideration this was before I even knew about New Zealand, “We cannot see the future with precision, but we can know what the Lord intends to accomplish and what it will take [for] each of us to qualify personally to participate,” -Henry B. Eyring. I thought this quote was great but I really didn't think about it. I now realized it was put there for a reason. I needed to read this and I needed to realize that I may not get to see into my future, but the little things I do everyday make my future. They say, "If you want to make God laugh, then all you have to do is tell him your plans." I wonder if he is laughing at me right now. I can just see him up there saying "Emily, if you only knew what is going to happen to you in the next (enter any amount of time here), you wouldn't be worried about such things." 


So now I have some new big decisions to make. I still have to do a lot of research about the New Zealand Study Abroad. There is an information meeting tomorrow and I need to sit down and talk to my parents about it. I also need to pray about it and find out if this is really something I should do. It will be an interesting couple of weeks. 


Besides this experience, today was a good day. I only had 2 classes, planning and management and Math. They both frustrate me but I try to make it through them. I came home and made rice crispy treats! YUM. Then Tausha, Marjorie and I watched the BYU Wyoming basketball game. What an intense game. I really was hoping BYU would win, but there is that small part of me, okay maybe not quite as small as I tell people, was cheering for Wyoming. There is something about a bad team beating a good team that I just love. Wyoming played amazing tonight and BYU did not. BYU was lucky that they won! Don't get me wrong I am glad that BYU won! But I'm a Wyoming girl at heart! 




Supporting both my teams at the football game. I was wearing my shirt and
jacket tonight during the game too! 


Well that's my day. If you see me around and I am kind of out of it, I am probably trying to figure out what I am going to do with the rest of my life. 


Oh I forgot. I also think it would be awesome to join the Peace Corp. If I'm not married by the time I graduate and I decide not to go to grad school, or I finish grad school, I will join the Peace Corp. I could go and teach English somewhere! =) Ya! 


Night! 


Here is the link to the article I read on lds.org http://lds.org/study/prophets-speak-today/unto-all-the-world/apostles-emphasize-value-of-education?lang=eng 


Any input would be greatly appreciated! 

No comments:

Post a Comment