January 19, 2012
After four whirlwind days, Maths is officially over. I will tell you right now that those four days were the fastest out of all of them. If you would have asked me if I thought the days would go by fast while sitting in a math class for six hours, I would have told you no.
Today was by far my favorite day of class. We did a few various activities, including one with base eight numbers and octopus money (that one took me a long time to figure it out, but in the end I got it!) The money was called ones (1), eights (10), manded (100), ecu (1000), eight ecu(10,000), manded ecu(100,000), and one killion (or something along those lines)(1,000,000). Sound confusing? I agree! We also got to make our Tapa cloths today. They are a Pacific type of cloth that is really neat. We of course didn’t make it out of cloth we made it out of paper. Enjoy the next few pictures of the process!
| The start of my tapa. First you draw lines, fill them in with black permanent marker and color anything you want to stay black! |
| The next step involves crinkling your beautiful work of art, then opening it, ironing it, and then dying it. |
| This is what it looks like with the dye! |
| You get a lot of dye on your hands so our teacher Helen told us to use the bleach to get it off. Well it turns out this is actually toilet bowl cleaner. EWWW! |
| Next you take Q-tips and bleach and color over any parts you don't want to be brown. |
| The entire classes finished Tapa! |
| Me and my Roomie with our Tapa! |
| With our wonderful math teacher Helen. |
I really really loved how mine turned out. I was so frustrated at the beginning because I didn’t know what I wanted it to look like. In the end it turned out great! It will definitely be hanging on my wall when I return to the states, or maybe I will give it to my mom and dad or something. Who knows! I’ve got awhile to decide!
When we came home we checked our emails again! I’m telling you emails are seriously the best thing ever! I love getting them. Sometimes I forget about the time difference and I check at 9 pm my time which is like 1 am Utah time. Then I realize, “Emily, everyone is asleep and you won’t have any emails!” One day I will learn and figure it out.
That is about the extent of the excitement from today. Tomorrow is Friday and Saturday we are going horseback riding. That should be fun!
Those Tapa pieces are BEAUTIFUL!! Makes me homesick to look at em! so glad you are having such a wonderful time!!
ReplyDelete